Tuesday, February 20, 2007

A Pivot Point

Strange to think, but the course of my life could be seriously effected by decision today of some yahoo from Missouri that I have never met before. To make a long story short, a promotional opportunity has sort of come open for me. The previously occupant of the position that I want was suddenly demoted two weeks ago.

Because I have I essentially been doing his job for the better part of a year, I would be a lock for the position if allowed to apply for. The problem is that there was another vacancy in another section, that I have no desire to work for. They had already done interviews for this position when the vacancy in my section came open. Sadly HR considers them to be the same position, so they decreed that they would just use the same pool applicant for both jobs, which meant it was to late for me to apply.

However because they only had 2 applicants for 2 positions, there remains hope for me. If one of them declines the job offer, and apparently the yahoo from Missouri is wavering, then I will be allowed to apply for the job and will almost certainly get it. How long I live in this arid corner of the West is probably now in hands of someone that I have never met. It kind of boggles the mind.

No comments: