Thursday, November 29, 2007

Poor Weim


I have wound being the contact person of the Weimeraner rescue group for my county. Last night I got the following e-mail through Weimeraner recue group, from the local Human Society, the very heartbreaking picture, above, attached.

Sorry for this pic, but I wanted you to see her real situation. She is a stray about 18 mo and in heat. How ever there is more than that causing the blood and weight loss. I have a doc coming to see her and give me an opinion as to what the issues might be. However we can not treat serious issues, nor can we spay her or put her up for adoption. I have been on vacation and sadly,it has cost her in time. So sorry, can you help her? She is sweet and friendly, but is getting very sick. let me know.

This morning I got more e-mails, that painted a dire picture for the poor weim in question. It sounded like she pyometra, an serious medical emergency. So I worked with the rescue and my vet and set it up so I could pick up the weim at the humane society and rush it my vet for emergency care fortunately the weim rescue group has the resources to pay for the emergency care. So at about 10:00 I left work and headed down to the humane society. I steeled my self for the very real possibility that all I was going to be able to do for the poor dog was to take it more comfortable environment to be put down.

In the shadow of the Mexican border and adjacent to the sewage treatment plant, the local human society is a truly grim place. As I waited for them to bring her out, I was prepared for the worst. But when they brought her out I a began to have hope, because despite extremely emaciated and filthy her eyes still sparkled, her eyes brightened even further when realized that I was taking her away from the shelter. Still I have never seen an adult weim that small, she would weigh in 39 lbs. Berkeley my adult female weigh close to 80 lbs.

Happily at the vet had god new, besides being malnourished the only thing wrong with her was low grade infection. So currently she is getting spayed. After she has healed up, she will be heading off to the Phoenix area where the rescue group has lined a couple of prospective homes for her.

Sadly I am pretty sure that I know where this dog came from. Apparently she found very near my house. About a year ago I ran into a older women with a weim puppy. Seeing that that I had mine with she began asking me questions about the breed. She had now idea that they are extremely high energy breed. It is not uncommon for people who ignorant of the true nature of the Weimeraner to abandon them when they are about 18 months old when they have ceased being oh so cute puppies, and are no 50-80 of dog driven insane by a lack physical activity.

It chills my heart to think very likely that that seemingly sweet old lady who was doting on her cute little puppy that day would in 18 months abandon that same dog out in the desert. God people suck sometimes. I am just glad this story has a happy ending.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

DD, I keep coming back to this post. It breaks my heart. I'm so glad you were there for this little girl. I'm so glad she's going to be okay.